Thursday, October 3, 2019

The long way home

The house is heavy with necrosis and death, but Claire is still a candle flame in the darkness, defying the encroaching blackness...
I couldn't euthanize her, it seemed like a final abandonment, an abdication of the weight of her existence after this journey of caring for her six month gradual decline, any loved moment one to bring peace in my arms, and every moment one she harbored in her heart to live longer...
Tomorrow, i say, and tomorrow, and still she lingers. I speak to her of setters searching the land ahead for birds, of scouting into the unknown to bring me knowledge, of my joy of her coming to me when it is my time to go, to lead me safely, but still she will not go. We cling together and cry. Soon all will be well, soon.  Her body has begun to decay, but her spirit is great. Don't fight my darling, run free and be with me in my heart, where you have always been. There is more than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment