Friday, February 2, 2018

Hunting Mitts

Thanks to the snow in Yokohama and my wee setters being a tad in the senior category I've been able to postpone walkies in favor of finishing these beautiful fairisle mitts designed by Helen Gray Designs of Scotland. The pattern will be available for purchase soon. I've been test-knitting, trying to get a Scottish feel with popular and readily available Japanese yarns like Daruma and Diakeito...but I admit, the addition of tweedy, heathered and marled yarns such as Jamieson's, Rennie's or Rowan from the UK here and there serve to give it the extra something that was lacking, in spite of the lovely colors available in Japan. It's been so cold I haven't ventured into Tokyo to get the real Scottish stuff.
Meanwhile a friend on FB was teasing me that these were shooter gloves...well of course for the sporty mama of hunting dog setters, I need that UK look, a hunting dog owner with no gun...so I have the UK accessories instead :P 
As for the dogs...Sherlock loves to be all snuggled in sleeping when it's cold and wet out, perchance to dream of the real Nobunaga, or maybe just Nobunaga our samurai setter, who is a model of male setterhood...
Nobunaga enjoys the new toys we were kindly given, the bigger the better, and all the carroty limbs for easy pick up and shake! I just had to throw out Stitch, gutted and forlorn, a mere raggedy shell of his former stuffed bravado...
Not to be outdone, Claire goes wild. Nothing like new toys! Woohoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment