Monday, August 21, 2017

English Setter Scarf Solar Eclipse

Normally I don't go in for dark colors but this stash busting scarf in garter stitch with crochet triangles (pyramids!) is in honor of the solar eclipse today crossing the US. Not happening here in Japan, which is fine by me. 
The last time I watched an eclipse was in a stubbly field in Germany and remembering wanting to sit down but not being able to with the mud and stubble. Everyone had these hard to come by temporary protective sunglasses which I then kept for years thinking they would be reusable but have now probably got rid of. I fondly remember my dad being so proud of getting hold of enough for the family thanks to the local optician. 
I remember the oohs and ahhhhs of everyone around waiting in the same field, but not being particularly interested myself: the sun and the cosmos, I feel, are beyond my mortal ken, I wanted to get home quickly to focus on real things I can do or make...
The great thing about knitting is the love in there: every stitch is a prayer for loved ones and the motivating factor for me personally in making a garment. When you're using various bits and bobs of yarn left over from larger projects, fond memories well up too. The dark blue merino in Solar Eclipse is from the classic high school jumper my son wanted custom knit in school colors, the black Rowan Felted Tweed colorway Ancient, a gift from epic Sasha Kagan herself. The blues are forget-me-not from the previous scarf, again reminding me of Chiaro di Luna. As you knit up each yarn into the new creation, it carries the weight of love put into each one that came before, exponential. And even thus each life is intertwined with those that came before, not just today's experiences and acquaintances: knitted up in the fabric of time. Blessings be on this day of solar eclipse, to the good people in the US, and all across the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment